We are a non-profit organization, committed to agriculture, farming and farmers in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The Comox Valley Farmers Institute is an active and important contributor and advocate to the continued success of agriculture in the Comox Valley.
Please mark your calendars and RSVP (registration is required and limited to 50 people Max) if you plan on attending the Comox Valley Farmers Institute Annual General Meeting on Sunday August 16th at 2:00 pm at the Dove Creek Hall. This will be a socially distanced meeting. Please RSVP to: email@example.com If the weather forecast looks ok, we are … Continue reading AGM: Sunday August 16, 2pm, Dove Creek Hall
The Comox Valley Economic Development Society (CVEDS) is excited to let you know that the Sales for the Growers Guide has begun and, as you may be aware, your members get a discounted rate along with a web listing on DiscoverComoxValley.com and Agrifoodcomoxvalley.com. Taste Comox Valley – Comox Valley Economic Developments full width Growers Guide – 2020 Edition. … Continue reading Information on 2020 Growers Guide
WHAT WE DO
The Comox Valley Farmers Institute…
- Is an active contributor and advocate to the continued success of all types of agriculture in the Comox Valley and acts generally on behalf of its members in all matters incidental to agricultural pursuits and rural development;
- Acts as a knowledge conduit that provides locally relevant information, workshops, and agricultural education events.
- Holds regular monthly meetings with guest speakers to impart the theory and practice of agriculture;
- Hosts several social and charity events throughout the year (e.g.: Taste of the Valley, Equipment Auction, Harvest Supper).
- Donates two annual bursaries to two qualified high school students pursuing post secondary education;
- Maintains a social medial presence on Facebook, Twitter (COMING) and Instagram (COMING);
- Delivers programs such as the Waterfowl Compensation Program, the Demonstration and Variety Trial project;
There are Benefits to Membership…
- Voting Privileges;
- Provides networking opportunities to farmers in the Comox Valley;
- Receive emails, information and updates about mostly local, regional and provincial issues and at times, national and international issues;
- Mentorship opportunities to new farmers;
- The opportunity to borrow select CVFI-owned farm implements from our equipment Co-op;
- Participate in bulk purchases of products (such as fertilizer);
- Sit and represent us on assorted local committees in the wider community, advocating for farmer’s interests at community, municipal, provincial and federal levels (i.e.: Tsolum River Agricultural Watershed Planning Advisory Committee);
- Link and Advertise your farm and products on our website;
- List farm equipment and implements for sale on our website and/or facebook page.
Our membership ranges from about 80 to 100 members year to year. Many of our members have active and productive farms here in the Comox Valley. Click on the button below to see some of these farms, their products and their contact information. If you are a member, get in touch with us to have your information added.
Our Meetings are always held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7pm at the Dove Creek Hall (*unless otherwise notified).
Next Meeting: Our 2020 Annual General Meeting will be held Sunday August 16th at 2pm at the Dove Creek Hall. This is an RSVP event and limited to 50 people. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Elections will be held at this meeting.
Time: 2:00 pm PST
Location: Dove Creek Hall (3400 Burns Road, Courtenay, B.C.)
The CVFI hosts numerous events throughout the calendar year. Some, such as our Taste of the Valley event give directly back to the community by donating proceeds to a local charity each year.
The CVFI owns assorted farm implements and machinery that are available to borrow from our equipment co-op. Please click on the button to see what equipment we hold and our policies with respect to equipment borrowing.