WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
We are a non-profit organization committed to agriculture, farming and farmers in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The Comox Valley Farmers Institute is an active and important contributor and advocate to the continued success of agriculture in the Comox Valley.
Our membership ranges from about 80 to 100 members year to year. Many of our members have or work on active and productive farms here in the Comox Valley. Click on the button below to see some of these farms, their products and their contact information. If you are a member, get in touch with us to have your information added.
- We are an active contributor and advocate to the continued success of all types of agriculture in the Comox Valley and act generally on behalf of our members in all matters incidental to agricultural pursuits and rural development;
- We are a knowledge conduit that offers locally relevant information and learning opportunities such as workshops, field days and agricultural education events as well as monthly meetings with a wide variety of guest speakers addressing agriculturally relevant topics;
- We keep abreast of and advocate for agricultural and rural interests with local, regional, provincial and at times federal governments; collectively we sit at many tables and are well connected;
- We offer members the opportunity to rent assorted CVFI-owned farm equipment from our equipment co-op and participate in bulk purchases of products;
- We host several social and charity events throughout the year such as our Farm Equipment Auction, Harvest Supper and Taste of the Valley;
- We offer two annual bursaries to students pursuing post secondary education;
- We provide networking and mentorship opportunities to both new and established farmers alike while offering relevant connections;
- We maintain an active social medial presence through both a Facebook page and group as well as communicate regularly with members via email updates.
Our Meetings are always held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7pm at the Dove Creek Hall (*unless otherwise notified).
We meet for the months of January through April and September through November. We DO NOT meet in May, June, July, August and December. Our Annual General Meeting is held in March.
Next Meeting: Tuesday September 20, 2022.
Topic/Speaker: Everett Dixon, TopShelf nutritionist
Time: 7:00 pm PST
Location: Dove Creek Hall (3400 Burns Road, Courtenay, B.C.)
- Drainage Field Day – August 5, 2022
- Cattle Handling Seminar – July 13, 2022
- Farm Equipment Auction – April 9, 2022
The CVFI owns assorted farm implements and machinery that are available to borrow from our equipment co-op. Please click on the button to see what equipment we hold and our policies with respect to equipment borrowing.