We are a non-profit organization, committed to agriculture, farming and farmers in the Comox Valley, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. The Comox Valley Farmers Institute is an active and important contributor and advocate to the continued success of agriculture in the Comox Valley.
It is with deep regret that the CVFI leadership made a difficult decision to cancel the upcoming farm equipment auction on Sept 11 and postpone until the spring. This is due to concerns about the rising levels of COVID cases and the continued uncertainty, a few conflicting events that affect the farming community that day … Continue reading Auction on September 11 CANCELLED!
Please visit the link on our webpage to find and fill out the bursary applications: https://cvfarmersinstitute.com/bursaries/ The CVFI manages an annual bursary called the Roger Demong Family Memorial Bursary worth $600.00. We also offer and administer the annual Comox Valley Farmers Institute Bursary worth $800.00.
WHAT WE DO
The Comox Valley Farmers Institute…
- Is an active contributor and advocate to the continued success of all types of agriculture in the Comox Valley and acts generally on behalf of its members in all matters incidental to agricultural pursuits and rural development;
- Acts as a knowledge conduit that provides locally relevant information, workshops, and agricultural education events.
- Stays abreast of and keeps members updated of municipal and provincial government developments concerning agriculture.
- Holds regular monthly meetings with guest speakers to impart the theory and practice of agriculture;
- Hosts several social and charity events throughout the year (e.g.: Taste of the Valley, Equipment Auction, Harvest Supper).
- Manages two annual bursaries to students pursuing post secondary education;
- Maintains an active social medial presence through both a Facebook page and group.
There are Benefits to Membership…
- Voting Privileges;
- Provides networking opportunities to farmers in the Comox Valley;
- Receive emails, information and updates about mostly local, regional and provincial issues and at times, national and international issues;
- Mentorship opportunities to new farmers;
- The opportunity to borrow select CVFI-owned farm implements from our equipment Co-op;
- Participate in bulk purchases of products (such as fertilizer);
- Sit and represent us on assorted local committees in the wider community, advocating for farmer’s interests at community, municipal, provincial and federal levels (i.e.: Tsolum River Agricultural Watershed Planning Advisory Committee);
- Link and Advertise your farm and products on our website;
- List farm equipment and implements for sale on our website and/or facebook page.
Our membership ranges from about 80 to 100 members year to year. Many of our members have active and productive farms here in the Comox Valley. Click on the button below to see some of these farms, their products and their contact information. If you are a member, get in touch with us to have your information added.
Our Meetings are always held on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7pm at the Dove Creek Hall (*unless otherwise notified).
Next Meeting: AGM – Tuesday November 16, 2021 – Masks and vaccine passports will be in effect until otherwise noted.
Time: 7:00 pm PST
Location: Dove Creek Hall (3400 Burns Road, Courtenay, B.C.)
The CVFI hosts numerous events throughout the calendar year. Some, such as our Taste of the Valley event give directly back to the community by donating proceeds to a local charity each year.
The CVFI owns assorted farm implements and machinery that are available to borrow from our equipment co-op. Please click on the button to see what equipment we hold and our policies with respect to equipment borrowing.